All photos are mine. Please ask if you'd like to copy any.

Monday 3 February 2014

Work and Play in the United Arab Emirates

Here I am in the roasting sunshine, with a sunburnt nose and terrible heat rash on my hands and the kids here think its cold!!!! I am in UAE for two months of instructing and it is making quite a change from Scotland. It's actually "trying" to rain as I write this but mostly those fluffy white things in the sky are few and far between. It's going to get hotter too...

Its a great experience being here, I get to instruct snorkelling, jumping off boats, climbing, building rafst and all sorts of fun stuff. My work uniform is flip flops, boardies and a rash vest and we get a 3 hour lunch break. Its funny though, how much I miss Scotland.... But much fun is to be had out here before going home. I went scuba diving for the first time today which was surreal and we spent last night watching a belly dancer. I wish I could dance like that heehee!! I hopefully have some climbing planned with Rua Fiola Matt who is in Oman and these two months are going to go in a blur. The people are great fun, full of silly banter. It's a good life sitting here on the beach writing about instructing all my favourite things in the sun. Happy days :-)

This is North Star Camp, where I work. The monstrous grey building behind is apparently going to be a hotel one day, though it has stood the same for about 7 years... But the beach behind it is lovely :-)


 Looking back at Dibba, Oman from a Dhow boat trip. Dibba, Oman is the other half of the city I live in, but just over the border into Oman. I live in Dibba, UAE. The mountains behind are in an area called Musandam, Oman. These Dhow trips involve half a day of sailing along on a lovely boat with disney music playing and then tons of fun jumping off into the warm sea in a beautiful bay. Aaaah life :-)

 A praying mantis ready to strike. These scare the children silly!


 Spot all the fish



Snorkelling fun at Dibba Rock. Pete and I borrowed an underwater camera and went for an explore. Pete took the pictures of the fish so all credit goes to him for those photos.

 Ewan playing on the Dhow trip.

 This is where I bring the children to kayak and raft build. It is also where I sit and use the internet. Aaah life :-) The rock in the background is Dibba rock and has superb snorkelling and diving. It is also a turtle sanctuary. We see tons of turtles just off the beach and they can be huge!

My first ever scuba dive! Oli, the instructor was brilliant. The water was a little murky because the currents are all funny apparently, but it was awesome! Loads of crazy beasties down there and it really is a surreal experience breathing underwater so deep below the surface! Oli did take some photos when we were down there but I don't have those yet, maybe the next blog can show them.

No comments:

Post a Comment