All photos are mine. Please ask if you'd like to copy any.

Sunday 27 January 2013

Sweet Dreams are Made of Cheese

I am amazed, stunned in fact, that my dreams have actually been so normal of late. From what I hear, my first night in Courchevel involved me sleep chattering about what a lovely building we were in, how I didn't understand what was going on and shelf stacking. But this was all before the vast cheese consumption!

However, we didn't go to France just for cheese...

Most of the crew I work with in Scotland during the summer work in Courchevel, in the French Alps, for the winter and it was an ideal excuse for a relatively affordable ski trip. Easyjet very nearly put our plans in peril but we did manage to get to Courchevel, and dove headfirst straight into a very strong Vin Chaud.

The skiing throughout the week was brilliant. It snowed on the first night and all day the next day, but after that it was blue skies all the way. The temperature had us skiing in every layer we could find and most days involved agonising hot aches in our hands and feet but the conditions were Perfect for a week away. Sadly i didn't trust myself skiing with my bigger camera and there were very few occasions where I was willing to de-glove and snap much on my little camera but if anyone would like to see some very good photos, check Ali's blog over the next wee while.


Here are the few photos I took


I dream of being this lady when I'm older

Bit random for a french ski resort... resident American-Indians keen to dress us up!

Possibly the highlight of the week was our food on the third night. We were all out for dinner because Lady M's trip had come to an end and our farewell feast took us to La Taiga in La Tania. Ali and I chose the Raclette and managed a 2 kilo block of cheese between us, plus bread, potatoes, cold meat and salad. Aside from raclette, we had cheese every day for lunch in big baguette sandwiches and still we didn't have mad dreams!

"Time and Ali Rose wait for no one" was particularly true this week. We absolutely made the most of our ski passes and got some serious mileage. The Three Valleys are an incredible ski resort and we stuck mainly to the pistes, with no end of good options to explore. Ali's skiing is superb and it was great for me to find my speed and give my legs a really good run after a mostly sat-down winter! I am still feeling the burn now I'm home and it feels GREAT! We managed to ski with Iona and Stu, Ailsa, Tom Kenny, Justin and Sara, all of whom were very good. 

Oh, I could say so much about this week. Another highlight was a much drunken apres-ski session mainly conducted by a half-naked Ben Brierley and acted out by very many naked seasonnaires. I should imagine facebook has some photo horrors in store but the duo playing guitars were amazing, the dancing was sweaty but hilarious and hiding under the table was only a necessity for short periods of the night! We have many thankyou's to make for this trip. What amazing friends we have. I am now all the more excited for adventures back on Ru'a Fiola this summer.

Next adventure... moving to Mull!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh I want to go skiing now! Looks incredible... can't wait to hear about Mull! Big love x

    ReplyDelete