All photos are mine. Please ask if you'd like to copy any.

Sunday 2 December 2012

Movember

My overall feeling for November 2012 is not a particularly happy one. Perhaps in time, I shall look back on this month as being positive and productive, but for now it feels like my proverbial jam pot has run dry.

Halfway through October, my Dad found he had an unnaturally high PSA (Prostate-Specific Anitgen) and, after a biopsy, discovered well established cancer. If he had rung me and told me he had a prostate infection, I think I'd have shuddered and wished him a speedy recovery but the word Cancer is a shocking one. A month and a half later and Dad is cancer free but I would not wish that month and a half on anybody. I have the utmost respect for anyone with any form of life changing condition that is longer term.

Our choices were simple. Hormone treatment and radiotherapy lasting a year, or surgery. It wasn't an easy decision because the Doctors cannot give a clear idea of which is a better choice. In the end, Dad chose the bish-bash-bosh method of surgery. Hormone treatment meant he would have to go through the menopause! Surgery was a good option because the cancer was contained but it is invasive and, quite frankly, terrifying. On the day, I took him in to hospital at 7am. My choices were either to stay and twiddle my thumbs or go home and stay busy. Mum was brilliant and after swimming, she took me into town for coffees and company and we went climbing. I panicked every time I put my phone down, I couldn't concentrate, even on the climbing! Eventually we got the call at 8:30 that evening from a confused and stoned sounding Dad. He came home the next day prostate free but catheterised and very uncomfortable.

A week and a half after surgery he is no less comfortable, but the catheter is due out on monday and after that he should feel much more normal and the recovery can be far more positive. We spend our days doing endless crossword puzzles and watching mindless TV. I have to say, I am sick to the teeth of antique programmes! They seem to be all the rage... We have also dealt with car problems, a loss of a substantial amount of Dad's furniture, and the passing away of one of Dad's long-time friends. Dad has had so much support though and I cannot thank everyone enough, those who sent cards, those who have visited and those who have donated to his Movember fund. Particularly my Mum who is doing her best to keep us occupied with climbing, curries, film nights and coffees in town. Dad is still mostly bed bound but slowly moving around more and it really is all up from here.

I am writing this really because Dad was saved by his awareness. The symptoms of his cancer would not have been noticeable until it was too late. Movember is an event run every year where men grow moustaches to raise money and awareness for Prostate and Testicular Cancer. Cancer may be a shocking word but it is worth taking a moment to think about. Our experience of it was very short and comparatively uncomplicated. It has been horrid and grim but I cannot begin to imagine what it could have been like without Dad having been aware. Prostate cancer runs in the male side of our family and now my brother will have to think hard about how to deal with that. Hopefully he won't ever have to deal with it but fortunately he will be in the know. And now, anyone reading this, so will you.

Well done brave Dad!


P.s. His Movember page is still open for donations. Perhaps we can get him to a nice round £1000


Thanks everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment